Plan for the Year Ahead
- Meet with your counselor to talk about your college plans; review your schedule, and enroll in challenging classes to help you prepare for college life.
- Use College Search to learn about required courses and tests for colleges you want to apply to.
- Begin a calendar, and keep track of important dates and deadlines.
- Get involved with extracurricular activities.
- Attend college fairs!
Consider taking the PSAT/NMSQT®
- Sign up for the PSAT/NMSQT, which is given in October (Ask your counselor for the date). Get free online PSAT/NMSQT practice.
- If you’re taking the PSAT/NMSQT, sign up for Student Search Service® to learn about colleges and scholarships available.
Prepare for Tests
- Use the access code on your PSAT/NMSQT score report to sign in to My College QuickStart™. With this personalized planning kit, you can prepare for the SAT using a study plan based on your PSAT/NMSQT results and explore lists of suggested colleges, majors, and careers.
- Talk to your counselor and teachers about taking SAT Subject Tests™ in your strongest subjects in the spring.
Learn about Colleges
- Research college costs and how financial aid works.
- Use the College Savings Calculator to see how much money you’ll need for college, if you’re on track to save enough, and what you need to reach your goal. Talk to your family about financing options.
- Visit colleges while they’re in session.
- Learn about college firsthand from friends who are home for the holidays.
- sign up for college preparatory courses for next year.
Explore Summer Opportunities
- Look for great summer opportunities like a job, internship, or volunteer position.
- Check with your counselor and search online for summer learning programs.
Make the Most of Your Break
- Plan to visit college campuses to get a feel for your options. Start with colleges near you.
- Finalize your summer plans.